Monday, April 9, 2012

Bentley

This afternoon we are putting our dog Bentley to sleep.  I've been trying to convince Tom to cancel the appointment since the minute we made it.  I know it has to happen but it's killing me.  We got Bentley right after we bought the house.  It was literally love at firt sight.  Tom had spent all day looking up dogs online and when I got home from work he started to show me.  Bentley was like the 5th picture he showed me and I was sold.  He's adorable. 

The problem is.... he has shown agression towards other dogs (including our other dog Smoke) and 3 kids!  The first two kids we could justify.... the first time he was eating and 6 kids surrounded him, of course he would be upset.  The second time a kid was trying to play with him but I think he just saw it as her taking his toys from him.... But the third time was completely unprovoked and uncalled for.  While we don't ahve kids yet, its not fair to Bentley that every time our neice or friends come over he gets locked away in the bedroom.  We thought about rehoming him but can't responsibly say that that would be a safe option.  What happens if he runs away from his new home (which he likes to do) and encounters kids while hes on his field trip?  It just is not safe.

I'm so scared to go to the appointment today.  I don't want to do this at all.  Ugh.  Tom wants to burry him in the garden but we're not sure that we can dig down far enough.  Also now sure if I can handle driving the 30 minutes back from the vets with Bentley in the back seat.  We might have him creamated and spread his ashes in the garden (his favorite place to dig and lay down).  I'm getting tears all over the keyboard as I type this.  Man this sucks.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment